Thursday, July 2, 2009

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

Practice, Practice, Practice.

Cake classes have been fun BUT the instructor does not have us bring a cake to class each week, or ever. We're supposed to practice at home. I've been practicing making roses and writing letters, etc. but have yet to make an entire cake and ice it.



Soooo, I decided to try, and BOY do I need practice how to ice a cake to look smooth. I think this is why people are moving towards fondant. This is HARD!








I love that I learned to make a dam to stop the filling from oozing out the sides and ruining the icing. I'm putting a Hunt's pudding cup as filling. This is practice and I wasn't going to kill myself making chocolate filling. This is another nifty trick my instructor taught us.

Then, came the icing. I'm pretty sure it was not thin enough. I ended up picking up crumbs - a no-no. Then I plopped the small cake on top of the top one, and did not get it centered. Oh well.

The icing's supposed to look like this: (NOT MINE - some random picture from a Photobucket search for "Wilson cake." Just look at the icing. I was not about to make all those flowers and leaves, etc.)

Wilton course 1 final cake Pictures, Images and Photos




but ended up with this.




I gave up and doodled a heart on it. I don't think the icing was thin enough. I will say that this cake was the best-tasting cake ever! Almond butter cake with (fake)butter cream icing. The top layer had vanilla pudding in between while the bottom one had chocolate pudding. The almond flavor was divine!



I think I am going to go to Wal-Mart and buy pre-made cake loaves, like little mini banana bread-style cakes, and them practice icing on those, rather than make cakes over and over. Once I get the icing done, then I will bake a cake.

No comments: