Thursday, June 25, 2009

Decorating Classes

As you know, I've been mostly working with fondant as my cake medium. I've wanted to work more with regular icing and see how that goes, so I've been taking the Wilton classes that Michael's Arts & crafts stores hold. I started with Class # 1. We're dealing with standard decorating.



The basics: How to make icing, how to fill bags, how to make shells and lines, letters, flowers and leaves. It's kind-of challenging. I tend to get frustrated because by the time I think I have something down, class is over.

Tonight, I decided to try making roses. The teacher has a trick of starting the bases of the roses with a Hershey Kiss. It's fun.



The icing was a bit thin, so the roses kept drooping, but I think, all in all, I did a good job on these.

1 comment:

homeschoolmommy said...

Wow your roses are beautiful. I tend to like the Fondant roses better, because making those buttercream ones kills my hand.