I set out to make two of each sized pan cake I was going to attempt. (Hence the chocolate cake that I overfilled. I was going for height and failed).
There was a lot of baking going on. I so wish I had a second oven and duplicates of the pans I own. I spent several several hours making cakes, baking, cleaning, cooling, to start all over again with more pans.
Six cakes later (2 ea. of 6", 8" and 10" sizes), I called it a night.
The following evening was time to make the MMF (crazy mess), Peanut Butter Butter cream icing, Oreo Cookie Cream Cheese icing and some regular butter cream icing.
Peanut butter icing. YUM!!!
Cream cheese icing with Oreo cookies mixed in it. Heaven.
NOW comes the fun part. Fun as in hard really. LOL One cake is split right down the middle and iced. The second cake is split at an angle, then flipped around on itself, creating a really steep hill. This is all iced and put on top of the straight cut cake.
The cakes are then iced all over and put in the fridge to let the icing harden.
Starting with the largest layer, I traced and cut out a circle the size of the cake that will go on top of the biggest one. The largest being a 10" cake, I cut an 8" circle out of wax paper and used it as a template to cut an 8" circle into the 10" cake. This circle is then carved out of the 10" cake, making a level area for me to put the next cake into.
See, it's all an illusion. Although it looks like the cakes are tipping, they are actually sitting level. Tricky, huh?
This cake above is then covered in fondant and wood dowels are cut and placed in the center to give the support to the next cake going above.
(fondant was too sticky/mushy)
The same exact thing is done with the 8" cake. I cut a 6" circle, and scoop out the cake, ice it again, cover it with fondant, and then place the 8" cake on top of the 10" one. This picture below shows the 8" cake "inside" the 10" one, while the 6" one is being covered to be put on top of the 8" one.
After placing them all together, I decorated the cakes using fondant and colored icing.
So here's the final product. It's not pretty but not bad. My first attempt at this. The fondant was too soft (MMF). I think if I attempt this again, I'll use the professional grade (NOT Wilton) stuff.
Note: The stars on top are actually supposed to be suspended by wires. I should have made very very thin out of gum paste a few days ago, so they could dry. The fondant was too heavy and the wire was to thin to hold the stars up.
Here are some stars made of construction paper, so you can see what I meant to make with the stars.