Thursday, September 9, 2010

Wicked

As you know, or not, I am a fan of both the book and the musical "Wicked." I saw the show twice in Jacksonville last year and was smitten.

It's been, what, two weeks since I baked a cake? Ha! Lord. Anyway, I decided I wanted to make a Wicked cake.

I printed the musical's logo/poster and then traced it on to wax paper. I spread out my various colored fondant and used the wax paper as my guide, as I poked trough the way, on to the fondant. Then with that little knife below, I carved out the designs.




I baked a chocolate cake and frosted it with a peanut butter frosting. Mmmmmm!


The entire cake was covered in marshmallow fondant that I made myself and colored green. I didn't take a picture of that; wish I had. Then I started placing and fitting all the fondant pieces I had cut out, like a puzzle.




Elphaba's nose and lips were done with food coloring pens and red edible glitter for the lips. Glinda's eyes were hand-drawn with edible food color markers too.

Ta Da!



I also used leftover green and black to put a little decorative touch to the bottom of the cake. (i.e. hide the faults.) :)








5 comments:

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

Cool...love it! :-)

Ari C'rona said...

Wow! That's amazing! :o)

Niki said...

That looks incredible and chocolate cake with paenut butter icing sounds DIVINE!

Angie of MI said...

Kaaren, I love your cakes. I was looking for a way to email you because I got your MMF recipe and am planning on using it for my wedding cake. My aunt is making it but neither one of us have ever used fondant so my question is, if I need a royal blue fondant..how do you color it? I have heard that using food coloring can leave a bitter taste in frosting and fondant. Help! You can email me at the3csmommy@hotmail.com

Kaaren said...

Hi Angie! Thanks for stopping by. I just e-mailed you. :)