Sunday, September 13, 2009

Twilight Revisted

I made a "Twilight" cake earlier this year, just to see if I could. This time, I decided to make it a one-tier (4 layer) cake, and give it as a gift to my boss and his family.


My boss' wife loves to cook. She loves new recipes and trying them out is a treat for her. At least once a week, sometimes more, I am treated to fantastic lunches, courtesy of plates made for me for lunch, sent over by his wife.


I decided to make a "Thank you" cake for her. She recently devoured the "Twilight" series of books (my boss' words.) They also have a 15 year old daughter who has read some.



Vanilla butter cake, with homemade raspberry filling, butter cream icing, covered in homemade marshmallow fondant.

The marshmallow fondant and cakes were made yesterday. I torted, filled, iced and refrigerated them.




Creating a dam of icing, so the filling does not ooze out the sides.



Mmmmmmm.






This morning, I took the iced cake from the fridge and got to work.


Marshmallow Fondant.

I had one heck of a time getting the chess squares down the side. It was not pretty. Good thing I could hide the bottom edge wreckage with the red ribbon.

Here is the final product. I made the chess pieces, flower and ribbon out of fondant and gum paste I colored with gel food coloring. The wonky apple is real. It was the only one I had in the fridge and it's all lopsided. I will be shopping this afternoon for groceries, so I'll pick up a nicer one.

This will be taken to work tomorrow, so my boss can take it home.